Tuesday, September 18, 2007

assg. 2

Wagon Wheel written by Bob Dylan (and then added to by Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show) is a piece of writing I like a lot. I heard it first when I was on a bus from some place to some place and it seemed to stick. Every summer there's a song, that song that every time it comes across on the ipod play list the knob seems to turn itself up and blast the song over and over again. Last summer it was The General, this summer it was Wagon Wheel. It's not so much about the lyrics as it is the memories it brings back when I hear it. Hours of dishes, countless campfires, just being in such an awesome place with some awesome kids. It brings back the memories I miss the most.
The chorus goes:

So rock me mama like a wagon wheel
Rock me mama anyway you feel
Hey mama rock me
Rock me mama like the wind and the rain
Rock me mama like a south-bound train
Hey mama rock me

Sitting front row of closing camp fire, leaning in on one and other, knowing that it's the last for now but not for ever.

Prompts for the kids in my group:
Where is the place you miss the most and why?

Is there a set of lyrics that remind you of a time or place you love? What are they and why do you like them?

2 comments:

robena said...

i don't think there's a place that i miss. unless if i'm away from home then it might be my room. because it's just a place for me to relax and it has all my stuff so i'm never completely bored. so i would just say my room if i ever left it for a long time

claire said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel Zoe. The place I miss the most right now is also my camp, those people, the memories, the singing, the good times in general. The friendships that I made and strengthened this summer are priceless, and I wouldn't give up those experiences and memories for anything. I miss my friends so much, they all live pretty far away, as far as Hawaii and the closest is Maplewood, so it's really hard not to be able to see them throughout the year. But it's the memories and things that remind you of those friendships you can take with you wherever you go that really matter.